Saturday 17 November 2012

'Taking Back our Voices' - Important Theatre



Today I attended a play reading at the Abbey Theatre called ‘Taking Back our Voices’, exploring the profession of prostitution in Ireland today. I say play ‘reading’, which would usually suggest a bunch of actors sitting on stools, facing the audience, and delivering lines with their scripts in hand. Today however, I did not witness this at all, but rather a dynamic and emotionally truthful performance that I don’t think I will ever forget.

Before I go any further, I would like to explain why I am writing this response in the first place. I am deliberately calling it a ‘response’, rather then ‘review’ because this definitely is not a review. I will not be trying to use flowery language or make myself sound more intelligent then I actually am. I will not be analyzing aspects of production that I found effective. Instead, I will just be describing my own honest,emotional reaction to this afternoon, which I can safely say was the most powerful piece of theatre I have seen upon the Abbey stage. I am not writing this response because someone has told me to or because I am bored and feel like doing something productive. I am writing this because ever since I walked out of the national theatre today, I have felt a real urge and compulsion to try and articulate my reaction to this piece of theatre, and the important subject matter of prostitution in Ireland. While it left me leaving like I wanted to change the country, I cannot do that, and so I have decided to write instead.

On stage were 5 performers; four professional actors and one ex-prostitute. In order to make this piece, the actors (Úna Kavanagh, Caitríona  Ní Mhurchú, Sorcha Kenny and Niamh Shaw), along with director Oonagh Murphy, have been in conversation with prostitutes and ex-prostitutes for the last few months, gaining a deeper insight into a lifestyle that one of the actors admitted during the post show discussion, 'we think we know a lot about when we really don't have an iota of an idea' . 
The ensemble only began rehearsals for ‘Taking Back our Voices’ last Monday, which is an incredible achievement when you actually see the high standard of theatre that was produced in such s short space of time. Saying that, it is not particularly important whether the standard of theatre was high enough or not. That was not the point. While each of the performances were exceptional, the whole point of this piece was to give a voice to the women in the profession of prostitution in Ireland, who are not usually heard by society. 

For the 40 minutes of performance, we are exposed to the brutal and inhumane lives these women lead. We witness the entrapment, the sexual abuse, the loss of dignity, the loss of power, the competitiveness amongst the women and the endless sexual tasks they are expected to perform and feel obliged to provide. We heard the voices of the real life victims of this horrific existence, their stories, their pain, their suffering, and their inability to escape. But importantly, we also heard the voices of those who finally did manage to escape from this world and are now trying to make a better life for themselves.  

On stage, in what can only be described as one of the bravest acts I have ever witnessed, Justine who is an ex-prostitute talked openly about her past life, exposing the audience to the harsh realities of this existence. She is a woman who is full of character and bravado, someone you would love to grab a drink with, someone who has suffered immensely but also someone who seems unwilling to live her life as a victim.  She is incredibly honest and her strength and willingness to share her past with a room full of strangers was something truly admirable and moving.

During the post show discussion, another ex prostitute, who was sitting in the audience and who had also been involved in the process, informed the audience that ‘everything you saw on stage today was the truth. This is the truth’. When I spoke to this same woman after the show, and told her how I admired her greatly, she told me it was vital for me to get involved with the Turn Off The Red Light campaign straight away, how important it was. After hearing a first hand account of what can only be described as a disgusting, inhumane industry, I followed this woman’s advice as soon I got home.

In Ireland today, it is illegal to sell one's body, but not illegal to buy another's body. Justine described nights where she and her fellow workers would be herded out of building in their underwear, sometimes on the street in front of children, while the clients of these women would simply be told to be on their way. Both ex prostitutes emphasized the absolute need of getting these men prosecuted. If more people could witness the cruel circumstances prostitutes endure, and had the ability to see that these women are just normal women like one's mother, one's sister, one's friend, perhaps a stronger action would be taken against prostitution in this country. At the end of the day these women are human beings, and as Justine asked the audience in the post show discussion ‘How can it ever be ok to buy another human being?’.

I wanted the post show discussion to last longer, to last for hours! I wanted to express my admiration both to the bravery of the prostitutes who were willing to be involved, and to the theatre-makers, who so effectively gave these women a voice through art. What I have learnt today more then any other theatrical experience in my life is that art can truly reflect society and give voice to those who are not usually heard. It can provoke discussion. If it can provoke discussion, it can hopefully provoke action.

The Abbey Theatre can play a vital role in Irish society. It has the ability to be the space where societal questions are raised and conversation is provoked.
I hope that more similar work is produced because I have learnt today how incredibly important it is. I will never forget my experience at the Abbey Theatre today and only wish more people had the opportunity to see this performance.

http://www.ruhama.ie/   - Supporting women affected by prostitution
http://www.turnofftheredlight.ie - Campaign to end prostitution and sex trafficking in Ireland.


16/11/2012

No comments:

Post a Comment